Basketball is a game that’s played professionally on many levels. The duration of each gameplay session depends on the venue and mode of the match. Typically, a basketball game lasts for 2.5 hours. This duration includes 40-48minutes of actual playtime. The rest of the duration consists of disruptions, fouls, and timeouts.
- Basketball Hoops For Playmakers
- Basketball hoops for driveway in 2021
- Portable Basketball Hoop Reviews
- Pool Basketball Hoops Top Picks 2021
Professional Basketball Game Time Durations:
The time duration for different modes of professional basketball match are as follows:
|Mode of the basketball match||Duration|
|Professional NBA Games||48 minutes|
|Euro-League Games||40 minutes
|International Basketball Federation (FIBA)||40 minutes
|Olympics Basketball Games||40 minutes
Some interesting facts:
- James Naismith invented the original basketball in 1891.
- He was a physical education teacher who also wrote the original basketball rulebook.
- The first game was played with a soccer ball and a basket of peaches.
- In 1900, the net string baskets were introduced, and five years later, backboards were added to the system.
- Dribbling wasn’t allowed in the game until 1897 when a team at Yale advanced the ball by dribbling.
- Slam dunk was officially included in the rulebook during the 1976-77 session.
- Initially, a basketball match consisted of 18 players in total, i.e., 9 players per side.
- Basketball was invented as an indoor game to play during winters.
- The first game consisted of two 15-minute halves, with five minutes of rest in between.
If you want to know more about basketball, then continue reading this article:
Basketball is one of the most played sports not only in the USA but worldwide. It has been socially accepted into many cultures and societies. Recently, basketball was even included in International Olympics. It has played a very important role in many cultures around the world.
Basketball played an important role in shaping modern society in the USA. It is a known fact that basketball became the platform for uniting the Afro-American community throughout the USA. It gave the grounds for providing the opportunity to people from every race to indulge in a fun game. Thus decreasing the various social distances created by other members of the society.
Though, basketball has been played for over a century. But it has only gained its current fame in the last few decades. Basketball gave birth to hipster culture throughout the world. This encouraged the youth to get out of their comfort zones and comfy-beds to play. Basketball is also the ground for various youth gatherings worldwide.
There are certain obligations that need to be followed regarding the playtime of the game. Originally a game is 40-48 minutes long, but disruptions and timeouts stretch the playing time to 2.5 hours. Here I will discuss the conditions under which the timer will be running or stopped.
Firstly, I will discuss the conditions under which the timer needs to be stopped to avoid time-wastage:
- The ball gets out of the pitch: if due to any reasons, the basketball gets out of the boundaries of the court, the clock will be paused. This ensures that only the playable time of the game is taken into consideration.
- The ball may leave the court due to many reasons such as over-throwing, injuries, or even hard backboard rebounds. If a shot is attempted and the ball rebounds instead of being a goal. There is a chance that the ball drifts out of the pitch and enters the audience.
- If an accident takes place on the pitch, everyone’s attention is taken by the site. So, the ball may leave the pitch, and the timer needs to be stopped.
- When there are free throws: when free throws are awarded to the players, the timer needs to be stopped because only a single player has the opportunity to handle the ball. This means that other players can’t participate in the game until free-throw is over. This rule ensures that the participation of every player is taken into consideration.
- In case of a dispute: If a dispute takes place between the players. The timer will be stopped until the play is resumed. Many times the winning team tries to waste time until the end of the match. This rule ensures that the other team gets an equal opportunity to make a comeback in the game.
- During timeouts: there are different types of timeouts awarded to each side in the game. Both the teams get equal opportunities to call a timeout during the play. Also, timeouts can be called by individual players due to many reasons. There are also official timeouts in both halves of the game. These provide time for the players to gather their stamina before continuing the game.
- When a foul is called: there are many fouls to consider in the official basketball rulebook. If any of these rules are violated, a foul may be called by the referee. The players get equal opportunities to challenge this decision during the game. Each team tries to avoid any fouls during the whole game. Therefore, almost every foul call is challenged by the team. This leads to wastage of time of the game. So, the timer is stopped until the game is officially declared resumed.
If any condition other than the above takes place, the game-timer will be kept running. This avoids inappropriate waste of time that results in useless stretching in the playtime. The general rule of thumb is that the clock starts running as soon as the ball is on the pitch and a player touches it.
Current Rules for Professional Basketball:
Basketball Rules are almost the same for every format of the game. However, slight variations in timings and some other rules are present even in different modes of professional basketball. Here I will discuss the general rulebook for professional basketball:
- You can throw the ball in any direction using either or both your hands.
- The ball can be struck in any direction using either or both hands.
- The winner of the game is decided by the most number of points scored by either of the team. This is the only criteria for winning or losing.
- You can’t run with the ball in your hand. You need to throw it from the spot you catch the ball. The only other option you have is to dribble. In such a case, the ball shouldn’t be caught in hand for more than 1 second.
- You can only grab or throw the ball using your hands. A foul will be called if any other body part is used for this purpose.
- Striking the ball with your fist like in volleyball is considered foul.
- Holding, striking. Tripping, pushing, or even shouldering any opponent player results in a foul.
- A goal point is scored only if the ball enters the goal net/basket. Even if the ball gets stuck in the net, a goal will be scored.
- You can score a point by performing a dunk, throwing the ball from the ground, or by throwing it from a distance.
- The referee is the sole judge of the whole game. He is in charge of keeping track of the score as well as the time.
- He also has the ability to decide when the game is considered paused or when it is declared inbound. The referee also declares the winning or losing sides.
- The allocated time for a basketball game, regardless of the format, will be two 15-minute halves and a 5-minute break in between.
- A goal point will be awarded if any of the playing teams attempt three entangles in a row.
These are the general sets of rules followed in any basketball game regardless of the format of the play. These basic rules are to be followed in professional as well as non-professional games. Otherwise, it will not be considered a basketball match.
There are many other rules and regulations specific to the format of the play, for example. The number of timeouts awarded to the teams and players varies according to the format of play. Also, the timeout duration is different for every mode of the basketball.
Basketball Hoop Dimensions:
These are the NBA declared dimensions for basketball equipment such as hoops, including both in-ground and portable basketball hoops.
- A rectangle measuring 6’ length x 3 ½’ height.
- The front surface of the board shall be flat and transparent.
- The management is required to have a spare transparent backboard for emergencies and also a measuring-tape made of steel for dimensioning.
The Basket: (Should have a pressure-release metal plate approved by NBA)
- The ring is 18” in inside diameter and a cord net 18” in length.
- The cord of the net should have a minimum of 30 threads and a maximum of 120 threads.
- The pole: should have a declared height of 10ft, including the hoop. This height needs to be measured before every match.
FAQ: (People also ask)
how many quarters in basketball?
Every basketball game consists of four quarters, whether it is 40-minutes or 48-minutes long.
How long is an NBA quarter?
NBA game consists of four quarters, lasting for 12-minutes each.
What is the break period between half time?
A 15-minutes break is offered after every half to provide the rest time.
There are many formats in professional Basketball games. The duration and rules for every format are different from the other.
I hope that this article provided all the necessary information to you for properly understanding professional level basketball.